With an ultra-wide frequency bandwidth (0.5 Hz – 350 kHz, +0 dB, -3 dB), Gryphon Essence is conservatively rated at 50W (8Ω), 100W (4Ω), 200W (2Ω) in stereo, Class A and at 55W (8Ω), 110W (4Ω), 220W (2Ω), (Monoblock), Class A.
• Exterior design by Flemming E. Rasmussen
• Electronics design by Tom Møller
• Dual mono configuration
• Zero global negative feedback
• 440,000 μF (Stereo) or 880,000 μF (Mono version) capacitor bank
• Balanced dual differential Class A input circuitry followed by a high-speed voltage amplifying Class A stage
• Fully regulated low noise power supply for all voltage amplifying stages
• DC servo coupling
• Frequency-independent damping factor
• Polypropylene capacitors for local power supply decoupling
• Four-layer up to 70 μm copper printed circuit boards
• Custom-made 1350 VA toroidal transformer
• Separate power supply for digital and analog circuits
• Soft Start turn-on prevents triggering of fuses in the home electrical system
• Gold-plated Neutrik XLR socket for one balanced input per channel
• Gold-plated custom-built binding posts
• 12 V DC link for power up and down
• Automatic Green Bias setting or manual Low/High bias
• Flash memory upgrades via PC or Key-fob
• Non-invasive protection system
• RGB LED bar indicating Bias High / Low status.
• Standby current consumption < 0.5 W
• EU CE approval
• Designed and built in Denmark
These exceptional figures guarantee stability with any loudspeaker load. The dual mono design employs a custom-built shielded, high current toroidal transformer with dual windings for left and right channel. The output stage and driver stage employ separate power supplies for effective isolation of the output stage from the input stage. A separate transformer for control and display circuitry isolates them from the signal path.
Now, Gryphon Essence takes us closer in the never-ending quest for a more natural and convincing musical illusion. Years of experimentation and extensive research in the fields of circuit topology and component quality and reliability have resulted in the development of an amplifier that impresses immediately with its ability to cruise effortlessly through even the most demanding musical passages, regardless of volume level. As a result of the constant high power reserves available at all times, the Essence simply does not “see” the speaker, so its reactive load cannot degrade amplifier performance. Unlike other high-power amplifiers, Gryphon’s no-compromise, pure Class A topology allows the Essence to offer extreme power reserves on demand, combined with refinement and delicacy in musical presentation.
It is our fundamental philosophy that all electronics in the playback chain must ideally be neutral and not add or subtract anything from the recording, no matter how “attractive” such distortions may be. The Essence is by nature a product for the fortunate few who can afford such a statement, just as it is a product for the increasing number of audiophiles who seek purity in the reproduction of music, a product for music lovers who respect both the musicians and recording engineers enough to refrain from adding or subtracting anything in relation to the original intention of the recording.