Gryphon Diablo 333 Integrated Amplifier
Improving upon perfection and thereby surpassing the legendary Gryphon Diablo 300 was no simple feat: introduced at High End Munich 2015, the Diablo 300 established a new benchmark in Integrated Amplifier performance. With unanimous praise from the High End press and thousands of units sold, Diablo 300 has maintained its “Best-in-Class” status for nearly a decade, repeatedly besting newer and more expensive competitors.
Over the past eight years, however, new component technologies and intensive engineering research have suggested areas for improvement. Circuit highlights from the new Apex and Commander, Gryphon’s flagship Amplifier and Preamplifier, have “Trickled-Down” to the Diablo 333, which boasts ten percent more output power than its legendary predecessor. New ultra fast, low-capacitance pre-driver transistors deliver both enhanced musicality and superior measured performance.
One look at the 333 and the Gryphon DNA is obvious: the triangular display panel with 4.3” TFT capacitive touch screen evokes the aesthetic created by Gryphon Founder Flemming Rasmussen for Apex and Commander, as do custom-made chassis spikes which enhance both mechanical integrity and visual harmony. Also developed for Apex, Gryphon’s bespoke binding posts are also found on the 333’s back panel. Sculpted from a block of aluminum, the remote handset from Commander replaces the “Wand” remote supplied with Diablo 300. A new, more intuitive menu structure enhances the user interface while a USB 2.0 socket on Diablo’s rear panel simplifies firmware upgrades.
- True Dual Mono configuration
- Zero global negative feedback
- Microprocessor-controlled 43-step true balanced relay volume attenuator for best sonic performance featuring only 1-2 resistors in series with signal at all levels.
- Local Shunt regulators for best noise suppression
- Ten high power output transistors each channel
- Diablo 333 utilizes new ultra-fast, low-capacitance pre-driver transistors.
- Polypropylene capacitors for local power supply decoupling
- Optional phono stage module, PS3 MM/MC
- Optional DAC3 module with one USB, 2 x SPDIF, 1 AES and 1 optical input
- Ultra-short signal path
- Minimal internal wiring
- Four-layer printed circuit boards with 70µ copper on all layers
- Dual Mono Holmgren toroidal transformer
- PCB-mounted sockets eliminate wiring and shorten signal path.
- Gold-plated Neutric XLR sockets for two balanced sources
- Gold-plated phono sockets with Teflon insulation for two inputs and two outputs
- Gold-plated Gryphon custom-built binding posts.
- Fixed-level AV throughput for uncompromising integration with surround preamplifier.
- Input level match
- 4.3” TFT capacitive touch screen with 4mm hardened glass in front
- Intuitive menu structure
- 12Vdc link input and output
- Infrared Receiver input via input on rear panel
- Firmware upgradeable via USB 2.0 socket on rear panel
- Non-invasive protection system
- Infrared remote control
- EU CE approval
- Standby power consumption < 0.5W
- Designed and built in Denmark
- Exterior design by Flemming E. Rasmussen
- Electronics design by Tom Møller
As with the Diablo 300, the 333 can be outfitted with optional Phono and DAC modules which have been completely redesigned for the new amplifier. The PS-3 RIAA module features True Dual Mono Class A-coupled topology from input to output, with no global negative feedback and discrete balanced circuitry featuring matched transistor arrays. Gold-plated Neutrik XLR balanced input sockets replace the RCA sockets utilized in the previous generation. MC load impedance can be set externally with left/right rear panel switches, versus the internal jumpers found on the PS-2S. MC/MM setting is front-panel selectable via the Diablo 333 menu. Gryphon’s new DAC-3 D/A MODULE incorporates the latest High-Performance Sabre DAC: the ES9039PRO. Seven user-selectable PCM digital roll-off filters are included, as are a full assortment of USB, AES/EBU, BNC and TOSLINK inputs. The 333’s USB input is compatible with all current Digital Audio Formats.