Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge
The 2M Series is designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove
Each of the 2M Series cartridges has its own individual sonic expression, and all five models together represent the ensemble of five classic variations:
- 2M Mono SE, 2M Mono and 2M 78 are a true mono cartridges for playing mono vinyl records
- 2M Red is an all-purpose cartridge that delivers open, dynamic sound with a slight touch of warmth
- 2M Blue adds more dynamics and resolution, sounds more open and reproduces more details
- 2M Bronde adds even more details and resolution but in a very evenhanded way that pays respect to all elements
- 2M Black is the best of everything, true to the groove with resolution and accurate insight into each recording
The 2M series of cartridges features Ortofon’s trademark split pole pins, an invention that enables moving magnet cartridges to have a flat frequency response, as with a moving coil cartridge. Split pole pins were invented by Ortofon, and were originally presented in the 500 series and OM Super series.
We have optimized the design for ease of mounting the cartridge, and the weight and size to fit the most common turntables on the market today. The 2M Series provides excellent compatibility when used in an assortment of playback systems and with a wide variety of phono preamps.
2M Red Technical data
Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 5,5 mV
Channel balance at 1 kHz - 1,5 dB
Channel separation at 1 kHz - 22 dB
Channel separation at 15 kHz - 15 dB
Frequency range at - 3dB - 20-22.000 Hz
Frequency response - 20-20.000 Hz + 3 / - 1 dB
Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force - 70 µm
Compliance, dynamic, lateral - 20 µm/mN
Stylus type - Elliptical
Stylus tip radius - r/R 8/18 µm
Tracking force range - 1,6-2,0g (16-20 mN)
Tracking force, recommended - 1,8 g (18 mN)
Tracking angle - 20°
Internal impedance, DC resistance - 1,3 kOhm
Internal inductance - 700 mH
Recommended load resistance - 47 kOhm
Recommended load capacitance - 150-300 pF
Cartridge colour, body/stylus - Black/Red
Cartridge weight - 7,2 g
2M PnP MkII cartridge with integrated headshell weight - 20 g
2M PnP MkII cartridge with integrated headshell length - 52 mm
Replacement stylus unit - 2M Red (interchangeable with 2M Blue and 2M Silver)
2M Red Plug-and-Play MkII solution
The 2M headshell is a practical and elegant solution for our customers who wish direct and easy mounting and replacement on their S-shaped tonearm. The combination of 2M Headshell and 2M Series cartridge adds unique distinction to the turntable!
- Universal mount fitting a wide range of S-shaped tonearms.
- Weight with a 2M cartridge pre-mounted 20 g.
- The headshell body is manufactured from a special compound used for Medical industry, ensures high rigidity while reducing unwanted vibration
- Elegant hi-tech design
- Length 52mm. Headshell with a 2M cartridge pre-mounted provides correct Baerwald alignment with the major part of tonearms with universal mount